Sunday, July 22, 2012

Kristi Gilbert: Getting My Groove Back Gym



One of the most difficult things about being a new mom is trying to get your pictures back.

At the hospital, they give the file a small love, wrapped like a piece of bread, and you are happy. You can finally see the fruits of your labor (no pun intended).

But soon, he hits you: "How this baby can be only 6 pounds? Not I get a 40" Fuck you Halloween candy? I curse you!

I remember seeing my belly soon after the birth of my children, wondering where this thick-no-print-of-a-belly will go away. And lucky for me, mostly coming from the fast. Nursing help, as did the lack of food late at night that I was in during the last months of my few pregnancies. Most of it goes, that is except for the last dreaded 5 to 10 pounds.


I know what I should do. It's time to get back in shape and, honestly, I'm afraid.

We have become a member at Life Time Fitness in Burr Ridge since we moved here last fall, but unfortunately I have only a few times a year.

It's a bit of a journey for us, considering there are about 15 gyms located within a few miles from us. But in our mind, a trip well worth it. They have everything there! And their child care center is amazing. I even found our beloved nanny there, who happened to be child laborers. Scored twice!

Once the baby is 12 weeks, they will take them at the daycare center, and given that (our second child) Jack is now 5 months it's safe to say that I'm a little behind my back to the gym. But it's over now. You see, I've got some serious motivation on the radar's vacation to come to the Ritz Carlton in Puerto Rico bright. That means I have to be bikini-ready in no time flat. There is no excuse. I need to shred some serious pounds ASAP. My horrible diet of fast food requires a major overhaul as well. Working for an hour and then drove along McDonald is not necessarily the best idea.

And something new for me, this time, he should call a few days in advance to make reservations for Jack. They have a number of places available, which means if you call and they are booked, no exercise. As if I needed another reason to not go there.

When we first joined last fall, Ava is more than a year and runs like a champ; kids his size do not require reservations. So it's hard to get in line to call in advance to ensure there is enough room for little Jack.

I made the mistake of just appeared one day and I was sent because there were too many babies in the baby room which means I loaded the kids, go to the Burr Ridge, asshole demolished and all their equipment, only to be turned after trudging through the facility of them. Can you say FAIL?

And it never fails. Only when you see your worst (no makeup, sweating like a pig), you will surely meet with someone you know. Good times.

Well at least I have a clear goal in mind: bikini, adults-only vacations. We'll leave the kids with my parents in Florida while we jet-set to our destination. I cannot tell you how psyched I was to sleep in. This may be the things I love most about! Sad, I know.

If I could follow my hard work in the gym, it is bound to pay. And even better, if I follow my dedication after my vacation, so I know I'll have more energy during the day and find ways to become a better mother and more involved. It is the world's wonders for my mental condition. And it is worth its weight in LB.

No comments:

Post a Comment